Front Upright of Formula Student Car

Our college racing team is participating in SAE Supra 2018.We are making the Formula student car.
In that due to money constrain we are not changing the rear upright but changing the front because of change of steering and pedal assembly.
1.Can you give me the idea of where forces will act in which direction in static as well as in motion?
2.What are the forces we should consider while simulating?
Forces due to Wishbones, shaft, its own weight and centrifugal force and also braking torque.
3. Am I missing some forces or moment?

Project Link: SimScale

I have not done anything as I am not aware of these thing.

Hi @jousefm,

So where should I forward the link to get me the solution?
Or will get here in “Project Support”?
Should I ask the solution to the people you mentioned above?

Hi @meghrajvaidya!

I will have a look at it as soon as possible. I already tagged the PowerUsers here so you are doing fine :wink:

Best,

Jousef

Hello!

Nice project, I think that the design of this part in particular could gain a lot of benefit from FEA, because there is a lot of room for optimization. To try and guide you in your questions:

1. In the statics case you would fix the central hole and get the longitudinal forces from the wishbones and uprights (beware of the external force balance). Dynamical loads (and static equivalents) will vary a lot for each case.

2. I think you should analyse all possible load cases, because of their different actions on the part. You will find that different stress conditions will lead you to modify different regions.

3. In case of doubt, refer to a trusty textbook! (Quick example: Dixon’s Suspension Geometry and Computation from Wiley)

In general, I advise you to take your time and perform a load analysis from the physics of the vehicle and the suspension geometry where you can find all possible load cases. Then you can dive into the Finite Elements Analysis with more confidence and efficiency.

3 Likes