Fluid Flow Through a Valve Tutorial Failing

First time trying SimScale. I am trying the first tutorial, Fluid Flow Through a Valve. I’ve tried it twice. It has failed both times.

Velocity field started diverging. Please check the mesh quality near the reported location and try refining the mesh. If the problem occured near a boundary, please check the boundary conditions. In case of doubt, please ask for assistance via our support chat. Velocity = 3.03091e+07 at position: (0.0001059 m, 0.1335 m, -0.04401 m).

I want to try to investigate the problem, but how do I know where (0.0001059 m, 0.1335 m, -0.04401 m) is?

Thanks!

Hi @mattshields,

First and foremost, big pleasure to have you onboard! Could you please share the project link here to get us the chance to take a close look at that?

Best,

Thansk for the quick reply! Here you go:

Hi @mattshields,

Thank you very much for sharing this! It seems an inconsistency from the tutorial about the fluid domain. It looks like 0.2 for the inlet and 0.3 for the outlet are not enough to the fully developed fluid condition that we need to have for this type of case.

Please regarding those values, please consider 0.3 for the inlet and 0.4 for the outlet and then let me know how simulation goes with those new values.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing this, I’ll handle this issue within our internal team.

Cheers,

I tried 0.3 and 0.4 and then 0.4 and 0.5. Still no luck.

Velocity field started diverging.

Hi @mattshields,

That’s quite interesting once I have did it with 0.3 and 0.4 and then ran perfectly. Anyways, already putting an eye on it with the team and they also suggested to put small feature suppression in 1e-5 in the mesh parameters. Once you change it, for sure it will be running well :slight_smile:

So sorry for that once it is an introductory tutorial and must not be dealing with this kind of issue. Otherwise, thank you very much once again for sharing this with us, it help us to be better and we will work to fix this tutorial page with the right new values.

Best,

2 Likes

Whew, that did it. Thank you for all of your help while I get up to speed with this awesome software.

2 Likes