Flow Past Porous Sphere

Link to project: SimScale
(in the project the simulation titled Hole Through Center is the only one you need to reference)

Hi all! I am attempting to simulate the flow of water past a sphere with a hole in it. However, I am noticing that the simulation results appear to indicate that it is running as if the hole in the sphere does not exist. Here is an image of the x velocity (flow is in the x direction):

Is there a different boundary condition on the sphere that I should be using (currently no slip) or could there be an issue with my CAD file or something else? Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hey there!

By creating some particle trace on the sphere you can see that there is actual flow through the holes:

I think that this is the expected behavior right?

The only suggestion I would give you is to create a region refinement to reduce cell size in a box around the sphere, and thus better capture the pressure and velocity fields, otherwise your setup looks very fine to me.

Please let me know what you think.

Ah okay I guess I just was looking in the wrong place to check to see that flow through the hole was occurring. I’ll try adding some more refinement around the sphere as well. Thank you for the help!

1 Like