Flow and heat transfer outside of a pipe

Dear all,
First of all please forgive the vagueness of my vocabulary, I’m a humble biologist using CFD tools to evaluate local hemodynamics in blood vessels.
I’m looking for a way to evaluate heat transfer outside of a thermal-conductive pipe, in which a hot viscous substance is flowing continuously.
I’ve already successfully simulated the flow pattern in various thin-layered pipe, and now I’d like to understand to impact of such flow pattern on the surrounding heat transfer.
Could you help with this approach?

Many thanks!
Greg

Hi there Greg (@GregOS)!

Sounds like an interesting application you have there! In your case I would probably do a conjugate heat transfer (CHT) analysis allowing the heat transfer between the solid and fluid domains by exchanging thermal energy at the interfaces. Do you already have the geometry set up and can share it with us as well as some input data you want to use? We can help you out for sure.

Best,

Jousef

2 Likes

Hi Jousef,
Thanks a lot for your inputs. We could definitely run a conjugate heat transfer using the geometries I’ve previously used. Here is the geometry within the project:
[https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4276532864427804384#tab_0-0]
(Hope it is visible and accessible this way).
Best,
Greg

Hi @GregOS,

this is not the classical CHT analysis we know so I would rather move to a convective heat transfer analysis if that tells you something. A nice project to have a look at would be this one right here: SimScale - you can see how adding thermal boundary conditions can be done with ease assuming you have some input from your side about these boundary conditions. Any additional help or tips from @Get_Barried, @vgon_alves or @Anware is much appreciated.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @GregOS,

Very interesting simulation. The geometry and mesh looks good so far! I am, however, not very clear about what your objective is. Are you trying to deduce how much heat output there is at the inlet/outlet of the vessels? Or as the “hot fluid” progresses through the mesh, how that heat is transferred through the walls and out to some environment (presumably the body). Sorry if it sounds a little daft, I’m not very clear on what you are trying to analyze!

From there, we can deduce the optimal analysis method and the approach we can take.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Hi @Get_Barried ,
I’m looking at how heat is transferred through the walls / environment, as the hot viscous fluid flows through the mesh. This could viewed as a relationship between wall shear stress and local heat transfer to the wall.
@jousefm I will take a look at the convective heat transfer program again . Do you have any idea how I could transform the current mesh from thin to thick (or multilayered) so the temperature could be assessed in depth?
Best regards,
Greg