Finding a leak in non-watertight geometry (flow volume extraction fails, infinite flow region)

Hi there,

At times as a SimScale user, my internal flow volume extraction can fail and SimScale tells me that the current seed face defines an infinite flow volume.

Often it is difficult to identify where the gap/hole is in my geometry, and it can end up feeling like finding a needle in a haystack. When this occurs, I use a simple trick to locate the hole. Instead of doing an internal flow volume extraction, I do an external flow volume extraction. Next, I delete the solid parts of the geometry; ultimately I will run an incompressible flow analysis type, so I am only interested in the flow domain.

Once my geometry is ready for simulation, I set up an incompressible flow analysis. I define a pressure inlet boundary condition with a positive pressure on one of the faces of the external flow domain, and a 0 pressure boundary condition outlet on one of the surfaces inside my internal flow volume. In my example project here, I define 1 PSI and 0 PSI gauge.

Next, I run the analysis and use an isovolume to identify areas of high velocity. The hole/gap in the geometry will naturally cause flow to accelerate and have a higher velocity. By using an isovolume I can easily identify the gap in the model.

Sometimes the simulation can diverge or be numerically unstable due to poor mesh quality or a pressure delta that is too high. Due to this, I usually only run the simulation for 100 iterations, and save results every 25 iterations. A converged solution is not needed to identify the location of the hole.

I hope this is helpful and please let me know if you have questions.

Matt

1 Like