External Flow Volume Does Not Include parts of a geometry

Hello, I am a student contributing to F1 in schools using SimScale for an airflow simulation. I am trying to create an external flow volume over a geometry for a wind tunnel simulation, but the external flow volume does not cover the whole car. So, when I delete the car, the mould of the shape does not appear in the flow region.

Here is the link: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/modeller?pid=6644795552683111947&sessionId=8b9ea540-3d23-453d-a6a2-094ecf0191e0

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

@jviernes Hello, and thanks for using the Forum!

Seems like the sheet bodies could not be closed together and form a solid body of your vehicle, rather each sheet body is converted into individual solids which doesn’t look right. Hence, the external flow region could not be generated successfully, since there are no solid bodies subtracted from the rectangular box.

Could you please try:

• Solidifying and uniting your model inside your own CAD software before importing,
  • Importing your model in a different file format,

Let me know how these would work for you,

Best,
Kaan

3 Likes

I totally get the struggle you’re facing. For a wind tunnel simulation, make sure your external flow volume is large enough to fully cover the car. Extend it generously around the entire geometry. Best of luck with your F1 in Schools project! You got this! :red_car::dash:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice!

Thank you so much!

Apologies for the late response, but I have encountered another problem.

I have solidified and united my model successfully, and changed the file format. However, when I attempt to import it into the simulation, it becomes stuck on “Cleaning.”
After many hours, it stopped and told me to try again.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Julian