Error Running Simulations - General Issue with All Simulations

Good evening,

I’m trying to learn SimScale and seem to be unable to run any projects, even other peoples’ projects I have simply copied and not meddled with in any way. All seem to fail a short while after starting the run!

To start with one of my own, this doesn’t seem to get very much further than initialising the domain:

I can see from post processing what limited results I have that the domain has initialised correctly, but not gone any further.

It’s a multiphase simulation of flow past a planing boat hull, which I’ve simplified to the bones to try to get it running, but no luck!

Please could I trouble someone for some advice as to what I’m doing wrong here?

I’m desperate to learn this program, but am getting nowhere.

Thanks,

Antony

Hi @antony_harman!

Having a look at it later on and will let you know how we can fix that.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @antony_harman!

The mesh looks not very good at the moment and needs some fixes. @vgon_alves, can you advise our user and tell him what he needs to do in order to make the mesh and multiphase sim work? That would be great. I will try it myself as well.

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Thanks for tagging me here Jousef!
Really the mesh is not pretty well, so try to set a new simulation run with this mesh that I did and please let me know how it goes. (its named Vmesh);

Cheers,

Vinícius

1 Like

Firstly, thank you Jousef and Vinícius, I really appreciate you both taking the time to look at this!

Thank you for the mesh, Vinícius. I realise my mesh looked a bit clumsy. I originally contacted SimScale Support about all the runs failing and they advised it could be a memory limitation issue caused by me only having a Community plan, so I deliberately generated a very coarse mesh to see if that helped. It didn’t, obviously! :slight_smile:

Your mesh looks very nice indeed. I tried running with your mesh, but still ran into the same problem. Reviewing the solver log, I always seem to hit upon this problem:

FOAM FATAL ERROR:
[4]
request for volScalarField rDeltaT from objectRegistry region0 failed
available objects of type volScalarField are
(
interfaceProperties:K
alpha.phase1_0
rho
p_rgh
nu
gh
nu1
alpha.phase0
p
rho_0
nu2
alpha.phase1
)

As I’m not generating the OpenFoam code myself, I don’t really know what I should be doing to get round this. Any ideas would be very welcome?

Thanks,

Antony

Good evening,

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the above? I’m still no further along and I’d like to carry on learning Simscale, if possible.

Many thanks,

Antony

Hi @antony_harman, have you got an updated project link for this with the good mesh? The error doesn’t look good.

Cheers,
Darren

Hi Darrren,

Yes; sorry! The link is:

Many thanks,

Antony

Hi @antony_harman, seems the issue is that the time discretisation was set to local Euler, should be Euler, did you change it or was it already set?

Best,
Darren

Hi @dlynch,

Thank you very much indeed! Was it really that simple? The simulation is now running with Euler time discretisation and I’m very grateful to you for taking the time to look at my case.

I deliberately selected Local Euler myself, as it seemed a number of other similar free surface simulations of ship hulls were using this discretisation scheme. Monkey see, monkey do. I must admit, I’m not aware of the diifferences between the schemes.

Best regards,

Antony

I think if similar projects use local Euler then they are likely using local time stepping selected in the simulation setup. You might want to enable that yourself, I think you shouldn’t have the option of local Euler if this is not on so I’ll pass this feedback on.

Good luck with the rest of your project,
Darren

1 Like