Error in Mean age of fluid in the exhaust (Theoretical value V/Q)?

Dear sirs

I think I found a DISAGREEMENT in the computing of Mean age of fluid in the exhaust (Theoretical value V/Q) written in Solver log file.
The value to compare is theoretical value simple computed as (V/Q) where V is the volume of the test environment and Q is the volumetric flow rate at the inlet.

The DISAGREEMENT is found in SimScale Advanced Tutorial: Thermal Comfort in a Theater Room.
The values read from Solver log file are 3277 (see figure) and 3283 seconds for Design 1 and 2 respectively.
The other values are 3141 and 3156 computed using Volumes 691.1 and 694.4 m3 respectively and 0.22 m3/s flow rate prescribed in boundary conditions.
The DISAGREEMENT is approximately 4 % for both designs.

To the contrast in the
Validation Case: Mean Age of Air in a Room
this DISAGREEMENT is less than 0.6 % for all validated mesh densities and does not change during time iterations.

Conclusion: The DISAGREEMENT in question is not a consequence of (a) mesh density and (b) non converged solution.
And »must« be an »bug«. It could be also mistake in my simple analyse (after a few days and nights :slight_smile: of nonstop thinking).

By the way. Small inconsistence is also found in Tutorial Thermal Comfort in a Theater Room. The prescribed volumetric flow rate in tutorial text is 0.3 while actual value in the project is 0.22 m3/s for both inlets together.

In my opinion the tutorial Thermal Comfort in a Theater Room is an excellent case research demonstrating capabilities of CFD in HVAC and the numbers should match.

Dr. Matjaz Ramsak
University of Maribor

Dear Matjaz Ramsak,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate your diligence in identifying and reporting this concern.

Upon investigating the matter, we have determined that the root cause of this disagreement is related to the volume of the mesh not aligning with the volume you use. The actual mesh volume for design 1 of the Theater room is 722.369 m3, which differs significantly from the real volume of the room (691.1 m3). With such a value, the theoretical age of the fluid value printed in the solver log and on the tutorial page are both in agreeement.

Best regards,

Louis V.

2 Likes