Hi there. I’ve been modelling an assymetric lateral solenoid, that should create force in the x-direction. In the return path, there are some strange eddies (on the upper right hand leg in the picture attached. They mark a low/zero flux density, with the region to the left of them having reversed flux direction and the region to the right having flux in the expected (upwards) direction.
The file is here: https://www.simscale.com/projects/david_gmail/adq-00008_lateral_solenoid_590029953/
What I’ve done so far:
- I’ve checked the geometry in Simscale, and it is solid and has homogenous material. There are no breaks.
- The mesh is quite fine around this area as well.
Have I got something wrong? Does it need boundary conditions? I can see there is some leakage flux from the main pole (inside the coil) to the return path, but not enough to overwhelm the return flux. And why would it head in the reverse direction, then do a U-turn at the airgap? I can’t explain it!
Any suggestions welcome. Thank you!



