Dynamic Analysis - Impact of a ball into Metallic Plate Issue

I’m trying to simulate the collision of a small ball and a metallic plate. I’ve created the CAD model, applied supports to the plate, an initial velocity to the ball, etc. Ideally, I’d like to be able to get out the maximum displacements that are present from the impact. However, I’m having some issues getting this simulation to work. When I execute the simulation, it will complete. But when I view the post-processing, it appears that the ball never moves? Originally I thought this could just be an issue with the animation, but it also appears that there’s no stress or acceleration present in the plate.

I’ll attach a link so that you can view the project:

I’d really appreciate any assistance that you can provide.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure of the answer or if it is even possible in simscale (I am more of a CFD person than FEA). However, looking at your simulation I can not see where you have set a velocity for the ball. Set an initial velocity condition for the ball to bring it into the plate (to do this, under velocity, add a subdomain for the ball). NO guarantee it will work as I’ve never done anything like this. Assuming it will work, you need to set your simulation interval (under simulation controls) so that the ball travels only a very small distance per time interval (say the length of 1 mesh element). As such, to speed up your simulation you should bring the ball much closer to the plate than its current distance. It can be almost touching the plate. As long as there is no acceleration, the distance the ball travels before impact does not effect the result

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I just had a quick look at your simulation! Yes, @roy_g is correct!
According to me:

1. You need to define displacements in bounday conditions varying with time.
  2. After post processing I found out that you gave dispacment in the other direction in your previous simulation!
  3. you need to free the plate in the direction of collison to see the displacment and constrain the other directions.

You can watch and learn from this public projects:

2 Likes