Drop test simulation giving same results irrespective of floor material

I have tried doing a drop test (see link below) by following the instructions from the video of the headphone drop test tutorial. I have done the test on both a rubber floor and a concrete floor but get the same result irrespective of floor material (all other parameters constant). Does simscale assume an infinitely stiff floor for drop tests?

I believe the issue was that I was keeping the default physical contact penalty coefficient. This brings me to another important question. If penalty coefficient = young’s modulus then the two objects intersect, so to prevent this I must set penalty coefficient > young’s modulus BUT, the higher the penalty coefficient, the higher the stress.

So how do we know what is real? Will using the lowest penalty coefficient that prevents intersection, give me the real answer? I now feel unconfident about the validity of the simulation!

Hi @roy_g,

I would try Lagrangian to see if that works. I think the results tend to be better.

The Penalty coefficient should be much higher than the young’s modulus, possibly around 10X or higher. This is defining the stiffness between the two materials not the ground so you should be able to see a difference between concrete and rubber.

As a check you can pick a couple of points and have simscale calculate the velocity or acceleration versus time and compare the graphs. The concrete should be a higher and narrower graph.

If you are still having issues I can look at it more tomorrow if you want.

Good Luck!
Christopher