Drone Workshop - Problem Homework #2

I ran the homework simulation and received an error message yesterday, so I carefully re-configured and ran today and got the same error: “An error occured while projecting a field because of an empty node list. If you use a contact with an active position tolerance, please check the tolerance value and increase it if necessary to avoid an empty contact definition.”

I’m not sure how to fix it. Can you help me?

Project is at: https://www.simscale.com/workbench?publiclink=66836014-ae55-4c7d-82b5-69c3b1b75084

Thank you,
Don
dondz@bellsouth.net

Hi @dond,

please check again your contact definitions (faces assigned in your project) as well as the boundary conditions. As far as I can see the symmetry BC has not the correct faces in its definition (see picture).

Carefully read the instructions in the Workshop post and everything will be fine :slight_smile:

If you need help just let me know! Hope you enjoyed the Workshops so far - your feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers and happy SimScaling!

Jousef

Jousef:

Thank you for the feedback. I corrected the symmetry and elastic conditions, but I still get the same error.

I must be making progress though since the computing phase ran 6 minutes [more than before].

Can you give me some additional direction? The new link is: https://www.simscale.com/workbench?publiclink=3b5f7d0e-cb55-42ef-bec6-ecffe7479828

Don

502-868-9470

dondz@bellsouth.net

Hi @dond!

Please also check your contact definitions as well. Did you already do that? Let me know if the fix of these definitions helped.

Cheers,

Jousef

Jousef:

I started out this morning making a mistake by re-running the mesh, so I had to re-do the simulation definitions.

After that, I ran the simulation and after 1 hour it generated an error, but no other information. Can you help me?

The link for the file is: https://www.simscale.com/workbench?publiclink=cab76da2-7205-4f6f-8a27-a8762a682651

Run 1-/8

Thank you,

Don

502-868-9470

dondz@bellsouth.net

Hi @dond!

I will have a look at your project and get back to you as soon as I have found a solution to your problem.

Cheers,

Jousef

Jousef:

I decided to start from zero – the OnShape model and work my way through. The new model that I imported and meshed is slightly different the original. Hopefully, that is the problem.

It is now running the simulation, so, maybe, in an hour I might know something. It started at 18:20 EDT or 00:20 hrs your time. Mean time wish me luck.

You may want to hold your analysis until I know something.

Don

502-868-9470

dondz@bellsouth.net

Jousef:

Got it to run, but aborted due to time limit [after 64 minutes elapsed time].

Got the following messages:

The computation was canceled either by a user request or due to the maximum execution time being exceeded. Trying to recover intermediate results.

2017-05-24 19:25

An error appeared during the calculation, please inspect the solver log or contact our support for further information.

2017-05-24 19:26

The specified maximum runtime of the job was exceeded. The simulation run was stopped and potential intermediate results were restored. You can increase the maximum runtime in the simulation control section to enable a complete simulation run.

Need to find how to extend time.

Don

502-868-9470

dondz@bellsouth.net

Jousef:

Raised the run time from 3600 to 10000.

Don

502-868-9470

dondz@bellsouth.net

Hi @dond.

Have you been successful with the simulation ?

Best,

Jousef

Jousef:

Call off the hunt for the problem – I read on the forum that another student was having the same problem as I have.

The recommended solution was to change the Friction Penalty Coefficient from 1E13 to 1E10 and it should work [in less an one-half hour]. I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS!

Thanks for all you efforts. I REALLY appreciate the help.

Don

502-868-9470

dondz@bellsouth.net

Awesome @dond!

Let me know if there are any other problems :slight_smile:

All the best,

Jousef