Do i have to import parts 1 by 1?

hello, I’m very new to this but I do want to simulate airflow, I was looking for something that I can run locally on my hardware but most videos covered simscale so I’m here

I’ve modeled a very simple warehouse using Blender, with scaling correct too (I hope it exported with that) and I exported the file as an STL, as one of the simscale tutorials said it accepts it. however in the tutorial, after the object was uploaded it showed up as multiple parts, while mine was just 1, I tried editing it in CAD but it’s very weird, the camera proportions are not the same, along with the object positioning, I’m assuming its because I’m new and have to get used to it, in tutorials they add where they want air coming in and out, for this, I’m just looking for ventilation, so I don’t want like inlet air, it would still be good to know how to get to that

I’ve watched a couple of tutorials and I’m trying to do what they’re doing but it’s very confusing, my question is do I have to export each part separately and then combine them together or can I just have 1 export? I’m not sure and I’m confused, I know that if you want separate models you’d have separate exports however I haven’t used STL before or simscale

I’m still learning, watching tutorials, and trying things out, even after I post this, if I do find the answer I’ll comment it here and mark it as solved

Hi @afard,

Thanks for posting your question! It seems a very good project, so thanks for sharing. Is it possible to you to export this same CAD file as a neutral file format (e.g.: .stp or .igs) by any chance? It would be helpful for me to guide you in a better way, once stl files are more intricate to deal as a 1st beginning project.
Please try to do that and let me know once it has been done. I will be happy to guide you on that.

Note: Combining all parts in just one is the best way to import a geometry for Incompressible analysis type.

best,

1 Like

Hi there, thank you for your reply and your interest too

I’ve tried your idea and spent about half a day trying to get Blender to export IGES as it’s not an option there is a plugin, but for some reason, it wasn’t working, I had to try out a couple of other blender versions and I have no idea but it just decided to work after I rebooted it, maybe I installed it wrong. I exported the model and tried uploading it here, however, I ran into an issue that said “too many entities (faces, bodies).”

I decided to split it up and get the walls/stairs separated from the rest of the warehouse model I made, after getting that exported, well it doesn’t look remotely close to what I had. any clue why? plus when I exported the other stuff all in one file it said the same thing, I’m assuming I have to upload them individually or separate them. I’ve attached a picture of what I saw, and I also got an error that said “This geometry contains faults and cannot be used for simulation” which I think was a bit too obvious

these are my options in Blender, I can remake the model if needed it is not that detailed on purpose, I just am familiar with Blender so I used it

I’ve looked at a couple of tutorials and watched some videos, they all were modeling parts so I’m not sure if this format can export things like this

Hi,
I would recommend exporting the geometry into stp or parasolid from your native CAD software.
Can you tell us which software are you using to create the geometry?

Hello,
As I’ve said I’m using Blender, but I made an onshape account to see if I could export step file out of my stl, and it did export it, however when I uploaded the STEP file to simscale I got an error that said “The file could not be imported as valid geometry based on the provided geometry format. Please try to export a different format or contact our support for assistance.”

when importing the stl file to onshape it showed up just like in Blender (image attached), I tried to import directly from onshape using the integration thing, and it did let me authenticate and showed me the model however it didn’t show up in simscale, it says I did import it successfully tho, I tried exporting as a solidworks format and that didn’t work either.

I even tried to import it back to onshape to see if the file itself was corrupted and it worked

I downloaded Freecad and I can’t open the file, or export step, so I am not sure if it’s me or the Freecad not having it supported, it does show the export option for Freecad but doesn’t export it, the stl file does show up tho and when I view it in wireframe I can see the insides of the building, exporting iges or importing iges also shows the same thing so I’m very confused as to what’s wrong here, I’m not sure at all