Difference between displacement real X/Y/Z and displacement real magnitude in harmonic analysis

I am applying a force along +Z axis in harmonic analysis and that is the only force applied, and I am trying to see displacement of a given point.
The result shows different values for displacement real Z and displacement real magnitude.
I was wondering how they actually defined in SimScale.

Hi, and thanks for using the forum.

Can you please also share a link to your simulation so I can have a complete look at the situation?

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the link:

It is Simulation run 8.

Hi, and thanks for the link.

This seems to be a bug in the written results. Notice how only the DX component is reported in the point data results. I will report this to the team as a bug.

As a workaround, I would suggest to create separate point data items for each DX, DY, DZ components.

Thank you and I think I understand what you are referring to after adding Point data separately for Displacement X, Y, Z.

Two questions:

1. Is the unit in the plot of displacement under Point data inches?
  2. Is the value in the plot of displacement (magnitude) the absolute value of the max. displacement in either direction?

Hi!

To answer your questions:

1. The units are reported in the plot, typically it is in meters. To convert to inches, you can download the data in CSV format and use a spreadsheet program such as Excel.
  2. The value reported is the amplitude for the degree of freedom, assuming the harmonic motion. It can be interpreted as the max displacement in that direction, as you mention.