CFD - Inner Wing Structure Design

hello, i am new to aerodynamics. I am interested on how to calculate the minimum number of inner structure of a wing must have to tolerate the maximum downforce (not deform).
Maybe my explanation not clear, here is my project:SimScale

my question is how to calculate the distance between the inner structure and how many i need to put it inside the foil.
Thank you very much.

Hi @bning12!

Interesting question you have there! Let me tag all the @power_users here who might help you out with that one! @cjquijano, have you done such a simulation before?

This is going to be a parameter study in any case as there is no rule to immediately give you the perfect design. You have to create different models and test them - there is no way around I would say. On top of that you have to make sure to create a smooth, producible and aerodynamically suitable design.

All the best!

Jousef

thank you very much for giving me suggestion. moreover, i want to ask a question, how can i make all the components be a whole object? this is because i observe that the inner structure no deforming? but only the surface deform?

Hi @bning12 and no worries!

I am thinking about adding a bonded contact between the inner and outer structure as this is still missing. On top of that are you trying to simulate lift or the dead-load of the airfoil? Because if it is lift the force has to point into the other direction.

Best,

Jousef

thank you so much for your precious reply, actually i design as a formula car wing, the foil experience the downforce, and i am thinking how to calculate the number of inner structure i need to put
thank for you reply again

My bad @bning12 :wink: Looked like an airfoil at first glance!

If you are struggling with the simulation please let us know if we can help you with anything.

All the best!

Jousef

Hi @bning12,

I took a look at your project and @jousefm was correct. You need to add a bonded contact between the ribs and the skin. Once you do this the internal structure moves as you would expect.

Please let us know if you need any additional help.

Christopher

2 Likes