CFD Compressible Aerodynamic Simulation Diverging

I am running an aerodynamic compressible flow simulation on a model rocket for my university team in order to find the total drag force on the rocket with our airbraking system extended at 45 degrees, moving at 539 ft/s or Mach 0.48. This is modeled as a stationary rocket within a rectangular flow volume with the fluid flow moving at 539 ft/s in the negative z direction.

The simulation in question is titled “Rocket 45deg Compressible)”, in Run 3. The previous two runs failed within the first 10 iterations due to a “maximum number of iterations exceeded when calculating temperature from a thermodynamic potential” error, after which I initialized the velocity field and set up a table to increase inlet velocity from 10 ft/s to 539 ft/s over the first 550 iterations. Run 3 completed successfully, but the force graph shows nonphysical values and the residuals plot indicates that the simulation does not converge.

I’m not sure exactly how to set up a compressible simulation so there could be an error in the way I set this up. Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you!

Hi there,
Thank you for posting on the forum.
Can you please share the project link?

Sure thing, sorry about that.

Link here

Hello @ucscrocketteam , thanks for posting your question in the Forum.

There are a few things that you can do to improve the solution. First one is to cut the leading point of the rocket, so that it doesn’t form an infinitely sharp nose. This is a common approach in external flow simulations not only to improve the mesh quality, but also to account for the manufacturing tolerances.

Secondly, I would recommend relaxation factors of turbulence variables. The high speeds are causing these variables to become slightly unstable at mid iterations.

Reducing these two relaxation factors should help receiving stable force plots as follows:

I hope these would be helpful,
Kaan

2 Likes

Thank you Kaan! I’ll introduce these changes and post an update here soon.