CFD analysis of filter problem for inlet and outlet conditions

Hello everyone,

I am new here not just in SimScale but towards the whole CFD simulations. I wanted to achieve a velocity inlet and pressure outlet to successfully flow the water through my simplified filter with greater offsets[link 1].

The main problem is I am unable to highlight the circular cross section for velocity inlet and pressure outlet rather I am getting the option for selecting the concentric cross section on that plane/face which is not the intention. I am aware that one is suppose to be selecting the the solid extruded body but doing that how shall I get the filter layers? I have also tried surfacing but that creates geometry problems.

I work on PTC Creo and the cylinder or anything circular in that software is formed into two halves of semicircle combined to resemble one cylinder or circle. Could that be the problem ?
But I also lack the repertoire of proper fundamental concepts necessary foe CFD. Hopefully, you guys could help.

Thank you for your time and support.

Hi @rkaushikb!

What you have to do is to create a so called watertight body which means you have to literally close the inlet and outlet with a surface otherwise you defined your velocity to flow through the small gap (as you have defined it now). Make sure to modify your CAD inside Creo and re-import, alternatively you can also use the so called volume extraction tool (more info in the documentation).

Best,

Jousef

1 Like

Hello Sir @jousefm ,

Right, I should have guessed the inlet and the outlet would comprise the actual control volume. I was stuck thinking that the volume extrusion on both the sides to make it watertight would somewhat let the fluid flow again through the cross sectional area.

Anyway, I just have two queries by following your suggestions. I have created two 3 inch volume extrusions so as to close it as a surface and make it watertight and got two regions {TRM_SRF X2}.

1. During the assignment of volume in materials selecting water do I select both bodies ?
  2. During the simulation run I am getting this prompt “A setup with 2 regions is being used in a single-region analysis type. Please make sure that all regions except for one have an Advanced Concept assigned to them.” How shall I proceed with that ?

Thank you for your time and support. Anticipating your response.

Link : https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=8387503502294695775&mi=spec%3A08fb43b0-273a-4d78-82d3-eea6e94506f6%2Cservice%3ASIMULATION%2Cstrategy%3A2&ps=analysis%2FIncompressible--oneOf%2Fmaterials%2Ffluids%2F0