Boundary Condition without temperature

1. I see for creating boundary conditions, there is only the options of pressure and velocity and other structural constraints like walls etc. Now, for both pressure and velocity BCs, the program needs a temperature input. However, if I don’t want to give a specific temperature at inlet or outlet, is there any way for not putting in a temperature while defining pressure and velocity BCs…?

2. Also, I see two temperature fields, the top one saying, “Fixed Value”. However, it is not a highlighted field and there is no way to ignore putting in a temp value while defining pressure and velocity BCs.

3. Since pressure and temperature are physically related, if we have pressure as a BC, why don’t we have temperature as a BC as well…?

Hi there, this is Fillia :smiley:

What analysis type are you using? Is it possible that you share the link to the project please?

Best regards,
Fillia

I am doing a convective heat transfer simulation for a single region flow.

Hi,

Quickly going through the pointers:

1. In this case, it’s possible to simply use an “Incompressible” analysis instead. Incompressible simulations don’t account for temperature/buoyance, so you would not have to define temperatures in the setup.
  2. For convective heat transfer simulations (as the name suggests), this will always be the case. Switching to incompressible would solve the issue
  3. The “Pressure outlet” boundary condition has an “inlet-outlet” definition for temperature (which is not shown in the viewer). Basically it works as a zero gradient definition. Defining a fixed value for temperature at the outlet is definitely not a common (or recommended) approach, but you can do so with a custom boundary condition :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like