Boolean between one of the cell zones and the flow region

Hi All,
I’m simulating an Airblast sprayer, Hardi TS 1082 to be precise, the purpose is to measure air speed and turbulent kinetic energy, and cross reference this with a real test I’ve conducted.

I’ve made the CAD model and imported it to Simscale as a single part, hence why all the components say “Solid”, created a cylinder where the fan sits, created an external flow volume excluding the cylinder, then deleting the other bodies. Setup the simulation then get the error message: The boolean between one of the cell zones and the flow region failed: [Flow region [Cylinder] Please inspect the model for undesired features that may produce non-solid or degenerate bodies in boolean operations.

I’m pretty new to Simscale, i have conducted a few preliminary tests involving just the fan rotating with slip walls and a splitter cone (what the sprayer uses to divert the air flow from axial.) they all worked fine, but combining together has caused a few issues.

Hi there, and thanks for using the forum.

The link to your project doesn’t seem to work for me. Perhaps it is private or deleted?

Hi ggiraldof, sorry was still set a private, i’ve changed it now . thank you

1 Like

Thanks!

I checked and I think that the problem is created because the cylinder for the rotating region coincides with the faces of the flow region:

Please make the cylinder a little bit longer so there is a gap between the ends of the cylinder and the pointed faces, just as you did with the gaps at the tips of the blades.

Ahhh yess, I think also as i added a shaft which in real case would rotate the fan, but as its one part Simscale is trying to rotate the fan, but cant as its fixed in position. I’ll give that a go now, and add some more clearance between the hub. Thank you.