An issue about the generation of the mesh, in Hex-Dominant parmetrics

I have been working on the mesh of a BWB with 4º AOA. To obtain a good resolution of the y+, I first try to obtain a y+=1, I create an average domain (X axis=11Lc, Y axis =4, Z=3). Then I created some boxes to apply region refinement. In the wake box ( the box in which inside is the BWB), I put a level similar to the final thickness of the boundary layer. The BL has 34 layers and the expansion ratio is obtained from the following calculator:
Fluid Mechanics 101.
I tried dozens of variations to obtain a proper BL with y+=1, but I never obtained the mesh, I always get the error that the machine has run out of memory, but in other cases, I obtained the meshes with higher resolution than the one used now.
I attached below the link, the delta X is 0.07149m:
https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=3789687585094801634&mi=spec%3A750d9862-a124-4617-aa92-815e62bac512%2Cservice%3AMESHING%2Cstrategy%3A15&ps=algorithm%2Frefinements%2F1&sh=3
Thank you in advance.

Hi, I’d suggest rethinking the refinement strategy that you are using, because the current mesh settings are causing a huge amount of cells to be generated.

E.g. your bounding box is around 8.5 x 3.15 x 2.6 meters in size, with 121, 44, 33 base cells in X, Y, Z, respectively. A refinement level 5 would give you cells with around 0.002 meters edge length.

Taking exclusively the wake refinement, you have a box with 1.6 x 1 x 0.5 meters in dimensions, and a refinement level 5 being requested. If you hand calculate how many cells would take to fill this box, it would be around 75 million cells.

In short, this is way too much for a community license.

Cheers

Thank you so much. Would you recommend me the minimum dimension of the box to capture properly the lift and drag forces?

In this particular case the issue is more on controlling cell count, since you won’t be able to run a simulation with a gigantic mesh due to memory issues, related to your community license.

I’d shoot for 5-8M cells max.

Suggestion: calculate the size of level 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 cells and use that information to calculate how many cells you’d spend in a certain region refinement. You likely won’t be able to use any level 5 region refinements due to the cells being too small at that level. Maybe level 5 surface refinements might be possible - it would require testing.

Cheers