Airfoil Simulation - Inlet/Outlet

Simulation Name: AOA 8 FOR WING

Cant figure out why this AOA for my wing dont work with inlet/outlet conditions?
Is there a way simulating AOA without the inlet -outlet boundary conditions. ?
What about just using slip conditions for top/ bottom and front and just change inlet value for X-Y direction?

Project link: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=4104805249868242951#tab_1-0

Thanks

Hi @jan2re!

@Anware, @Get_Barried, @vgon_alves or me will have a look at your issue and get back to you as soon as possible. If you make any progress in the meantime please let us know.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jan2re!

Can you make sure to split your geometry to make sure we can create an inflated boundary layer ? Once you fixed that let me know and I will try to run a simulation.

Cheers!

Jousef

Ok, This have been the problem all the way, i was not able to split the stl file. But ive uploaded a step file with faces , I know im better of with boudary layer, but after spending 40 hours try to figure out how to make the layer and fail doing it becuase of error with my stl file i did try to make finer mesh to account for this.

However my submission deadline is not far away… so this its a hard way to learn about good and right choice of geometry files…

I have uploaded a step file of the same geometry " wingstep" i appreciate all help. thanks

JT

Hi @jan2re!

The new CAD model you uploaded looks good! Did you already run a mesh?

Cheers!

Jousef

I started one just now, but im not sure how to do all the surface refinement. I did only choose inflate boundary layer
for the 4 flat faces for the wing, but what about the rest of the faces? the ends and cambers from inventor?
is this how to do it? i also splitted a stl file.

jt

Did try the new mesh with AOA with inlet/outlet and without AOA and with slip conditions, but errors on both…

Could you take a look at BL 3 wing and BLAYER AOA 8 simulation…
Mesh used is FINAL BOUNDARY LAYER.

…Thanks

Hi @jan2re!

We will have a look at that! Getting back to you as soon as we figured out a solution - sorry for the delayed response.

All the best!

Jousef

1 Like

Hi @jan2re,

Your simulation looks fine for the latest run, what problems were you facing again?

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

Problem with Angle of attack study. When using k-epsilon and 3. WING 150x40x40 mesh and 3. WINGLET 150x40x40 mesh.
Tried to methods for both wing and winglet.
3. WING CASE and 3.WINGLET CASE with only changing inlet velocity at boundary conditions.
Does not work for ANGLES OF ATTACK.
Second method for both.
AOA 3.WING CASE
Inlet outlet boundary conditions with pressure ->zero gradient, velocity for my angle of attack, and for k and e i did try both fixed value and inlet-outlet as well.
same for AOA .3 WINGLET CASE

I want to get result with 0 ,3, 6, 9degree AOA for my 3… MESH 150x40x40.

yesterday i did change my stl file to a step file and used inflate boundary layer but , i wanty to use above case - K-e as mention.

any advice ? need to write my report tomorrow :smile:

Thanks

Hi @jan2re,

It seems like you already managed to simulate the AOA change in the “Copy of AOA approx 6-8 for WINGLET” simulation. Apply the same methodology towards the mesh you want to simulate.

As for the mesh (with regards to 3. WING CASE and 3.WINGLET) I would suggest improvements such as setting the feature refinement to 0m and inflation of boundary layers to a y+ of 30 to 300. I would also recommend doing a mesh convergence study but considering that your submission is tomorrow, I doubt you will have sufficient time to do so, instead, just simulate the different AOAs and compare as I have mentioned in the other statement.

Cheers.

Regards,
Barry

1 Like

Cased solved . We had to reject the geometry files and draw new ones in autodesk inventor, and then we made a mesh for every AOA needed. Solved the problem.

Appreciate all help provided by all of you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jan2re, after your submission, any chance you could post your results of lift and drag vs your reference (experimental or other) I would be really interested to see it!

Cheers,
Darren

2 Likes