Aerodynamics of a soccer ball

Hello.
I’m working on this school project for a while now and I have some issues. I’m working on a soccer ball aerodynamics, how altitude (density of air) affects on a velocity of a soccer ball. I found a step-by-step tutorial and I’ve done everything almost similar but results are not correct. Can you help me , which parameters should I use for better results?

This is my project: https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=8125650876917982557&rru=add1eeb5-569b-4dfa-a9ae-6d026f8cd99c&ci=bac8c480-08f1-4335-9453-06f659b4d289&ct=CONVERGENCE_PLOT&mt=SIMULATION_RESULT

Best regards,
Tilen

Hi Tilen!

What exactly is not correct? And are you just trying to visualize the flow behavior or are more interested in showing the magnus effect? If so, then you can follow this tutorial: The Magnus Effect Part 1: Simulation Tutorial ⚽ - it is outdated in terms of the user interface but if you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to help you out :slight_smile:

Best,

Jousef

Hi,
I’ve checked results from someone who did this simulation a while ago and there are some differences in forces and solution field is not quit the same, so I’m not sure if I got the right results. I’m interested in flow behavior and not so much on a Magnus effect.

This is how it should be I suppose:

This is how i get it:

Thank you for your answers.
Tilen

Hi: You got the flow in different direction…

Please check cutting plane and direction of the flow when visualizing it. I have not seen your project: I only use two screen shots you attached.

Take care,

Retsam

1 Like

Hi,
first of all thank you for you answer. Can you be more specific what should I do? I think I’ve tried what you tell me to do right now, but still I’m not happy with the result.

Best,
Tilen

You have that info on the first visualization:

On the second one you have different one:

You may notice, that Volumetric Flow Rate is negative in first case and positive in second. Magnitude is the same. Please try to answer why.

Take care,

Retsam

1 Like