2D oscillating airfoil

I am trying to simulate an airfoil oscillating about its span direction such that it looks something like this.

First I have a large box of air with a cavity for the airfoil. Then I have used moving wall boundary condition, rotating wall for the airfoil walls. For a start, I just employed a constant rotation speed just to try (eventually I will use the table to denote an oscillation motion).

I put 10 deg/s rotational speed and run the simulation for 20s with a time step of 1s. No “errors” were detected, but I can’t seem to get the wall to move at all. There is no error for any conflicting settings but no movement were observed in the results.

The simulation was transient.

Anyone with experience with moving wall simulations and can advice where I might have gone wrong?

Hi there!

Do you already have a project where you try to mimic the oscillation with a workaround because we cannot do a morphing mesh or anything that is similar to that. I have something in my head how you want to do it but I am not even sure if you ask about our platform here :wink: Thoughts on this CFD Squad?

Best,

Jousef

yes I am asking about your platform, and I do have a project. What is the workaround you are talking about?

I’m not sure how to copy the link to my project, is it just the web address on my browser address bar?

You can share the link with us so we can have a look at the setup. “Immerse” the airfoil in a cylinder and make sure to use a rotating zone (MRF or AMI) to approximate the oscillating effect. CFD Squad, feel free to add your two cents here.

Best,

Jousef

Okay, I’ve shared my project with you, see if you are getting it?

Hi,

Do you have a step by step transient AMI rotating zone tutorials? I have looked a various public projects with rotating zones and tried to replicate them but there seems multiple ways of creating what seems to be the same geometries and everything seems okay until I tried to run the simulations and get the following error.
A multi-region mesh was assigned - this analysis-type requires a single-region mesh.

But if I try to mesh it in a way that there is no multi-region mesh, then the internal cylinder disappears. Is that the correct way to go about it?

Thanks,

Here is my project

Hey @weihua0202!

Does that help: CFL Number for AMI simulation ?

Best,

Jousef

Problem is I can’t get the project to start solving. I keep getting the error that there is a multi-region mesh, but in order to have one part of the domain stationary and another part rotating, surely you will require a multi-region mesh right?