Wind Turbine and rotating zone

Hello,
to my internship I have to simulate a cycloidal propeller for a boat. After trying, I realized in Post proccess that I didn’t see the propeller rotate, so I simulated the wind turbine of the public project:
https://www.simscale.com/projects/jprobst/simulation_of_the_airflow_around_a_wind_turbine/
In post process I still don’t see the rotor rotate, more over if you look at the force, you can see that force in the z axis is constant after a certain amount of time whereas it would be periodic

My question is: how we can see the wind turbine, or the propeller, rotate during simulation and have acces to forces during this rotation?

Thanks you in advance and sorry for bad english.

Hi @asimon, This is because the simulation uses a rotating mesh zone in a steady state simulation. This applies rotational forces within the zone thus allowing it to be simulated as steady state. To simulate the blades actually rotating you will need to us an AMI for the rotating zone and simulate using a transient model. This is much more computationally expensive.

The advice is to first simulate a rotating steady state to ensure the setup is sound ad the mesh captures everything you need then run a transient simulation based upon the previous setup. Also, there is a good piece written in the documentation regarding this, much more detailed and accurate than my brief description above :slight_smile:

hope this helps,
Darren

So I just have to select “AMI” in “rotating zone” and “Transient” in “Analye Type”

Thanks a lot for this quick anwer
Adrien

Hi @asimon, in a nutshell, yes. But it might not turn out to be that easy, AMI stands for ‘arbitrary mesh interface’ (or something like that) basically the mesh boundaries will be sliding over one another. So if there are any defects in the sliding faces, this may cause divergence. You might want to refine your mesh at these faces and re-visit the mesh controls because a bad mesh will be fine for the steady state sim (nothing is sliding), but may diverge on the transient one.

Kind regards,
Darren

Thanks for jumping in here @1318980! :wink:

Please also have a look at this link @asimon: Torque and Speed - Rotating Zones

This just came into my mind and has some good links in it :wink:

If you need help, let us know what you are struggling with.

Cheers!

1 Like