Static analysis of a structural reinforcement

I’m trying to find the reactions in the supports of this structure, but I have a memory error and I don’t know how to fix it.

The structure has an articulated support and a simple support as shown in the exercise. Both are attached to the wall. I have already solved it analytically but I do it here to learn how to use simscale better. Thank you

Awesome project!! :slight_smile:

This post should help you out: FEA - Oscillating Metal Block with Rubber - #16 by rszoeke - let us know if that worked.

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jaguilarh,

I hope you have had some luck with your problem. As @jousefm pointed out, you can go into Simulation Control and increase the number of processors. This also increases the amount of memory you are allowed to use per problem.

From the picture I can assume you probably have a lot of very small elements due to the nature of tubing. If the tubes are hollow you could modify them in CAD and make them solid. This will take fewer elements to mesh. You can also make sure you created the mesh with first order elements. Both of these should give you accurate reaction forces but the stresses would not be accurate.

Finally, to calculate the Reaction Forces, you need to go into Result Control and select the faces (edges, points, etc) where you want the reaction forces calculated. This needs to be done before running the analysis.

Good luck!
Christopher

2 Likes

Thanks for answering @cjquijano but I can’t increase the number of processors because I have a student account, but I will try to reduce the number of mesh elements as you mention.

The elements are solid and of first order, and I used a thicker mesh but with refinements, but unfortunately it still doesn’t work.

Jousefm’s recommendation has more to do with modal and dynamic analysis as far as I can see, but in my case it’s a static analysis.I will continue to study more about it.

Hi @jaguilarh,

Are you willing to share a link to the project? If so I can take a look at to see If I have some better ideas.

Christopher

Thanks a lot for your time!

Hi @jaguilarh,

Is the remote force G the weight of the truss due to gravity? It seems that creating the Remote Force and attaching it to the entire model is what is causing the memory issue. I removed the Remote Force and added Gravity and the model ran in a few minutes.

Please take a look at what I did and let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks!
Christopher

2 Likes

You’re right @cjquijano , the remote force represented the weight of the structure. I have reviewed your project and the answer has an error of less than 5% with the analytics and that’s what I wanted to check, thank you very much. The only comment I have is if you could explain to me when and how to use a remote force so I don’t make the same mistake again. Thanks again for your support.

Hi @jaguilarh, I am glad I was able to help out.

Typically when I have used a remote force it has been to add the weight of components that I have not modeled. The remote force is at the center of gravity of the component and it attaches to the mounting locations of the component on the structure. I am sure there are a lot of other ways to use it but this has been my experience.

The one thing to keep in mind is the more nodes you have connected to the remote force the large the problem and the more resources required. In your model I removed the remote force and I was able to solve the problem on an 8 core machine. With the remote force, I ran out of memory using a 32 core machine.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Christopher

1 Like