Postprocessing - Result on selected body

Hello All,

I need your help to solve the following two tasks regarding postprocessing:

Task 1:
I just want to check my results (solution field of an assembly). But I would like to check the results separated solid by solid. Is it possibel in SimScale or in ParaView?

Task 2:
How can I get the reaction force (and moment) results on boundaries or on contact surfaces?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Csaba

Hwy @potyka_csaba!

You can do that in local Paraview by hiding the block. First use extract block filter to extract the volumes only. Then just right click on the block in viewer and then click hide block.

You can either do this in advanced solvers. Before you run the simulation, you can define the calculation item in Result Control. There you can plot the results based on volumes, faces, edges and points. If you want to do this using local Paraview, please follow this forum post: How to get nodal solution results? - #2 by ggiraldo

Following this forum the selection procedure of nodes will be same. Only difference would be that after selection you can apply Extract selection filter, then apply Plot selection over time filter. This will plot all the solution field data for those nodes. Then you can save the data while outputting it under files.

Hello Ahmed,

Thanks for your suggestions! I will try it soon!

Bests,
Csaba

Hello Ahmed,

I can’t find this option in ParaView “extract block filter”. I installed ParaView 5.0.1. 64 bit version on a notebook with Win8.1 opsystem. I download the results file from SimScale and I open the “case.pvd” file. I’m not shure, but I think that this file contains all the result data of the single time steps. So far so good. But after it I’m lost. Your help with figures ( :slight_smile: ) is very preciated!

Thanks in advance!
Csaba

Hi @potyka_csaba, you can find the “extract block” filter under Filters > Alphabetical > Extract Block.

Once the filter is applied you can select the blocks from the list that you want to be visible.

Hello Ben!

It really works! Thanks a lot for the great support!

Csaba

@potyka_csaba - another little hint: In Paraview “Ctrl + Space” brings up a search window, where you can type in the filter name which automatically then shows you the available options. Great time saver, especially when you’re not entirely sure how the filter is called.

Hope that helps,

David

Hello @dheiny and @ahmedhussain18 and SimScale Staff!

I have an issue when getting the nodal forces in ParaView. I select a contact pair with the “extract block” filter (slave and master separeted one by one) and I select the points using the “Select Points Through”, after it I choose the “SpreadSheet View” and the “Show only Selected Elements” option. Then I save the table with the “Export Scene” button and from excel I extract and summarize the nodal forces in Y direction (this direction is interesting). But I see different force sum values at the master and at the slave side. Further on, the stress what I see in the homogeneous stress distribution zone is OK, exactly the value what I expect! But this stress can not be reproduced when I whant to calculate it back analytically from the reaction forces. Both of the reaction force sums (master and slave) should result in much smaller stress in the bolt (keep in minde, that I get different values at the master and slave side).
The model is quarter model of a pretensioned bolt and of a compressed pipe (see: https://www.simscale.com/workbench?publiclink=0d23fb61-8084-4a62-b502-cfceb46fcd66 the 1stelAugmLag-model and its results). I checked the master and the slave contact surfaces below the bolt head. The stresses are fine, but the force summation is not ok somehow, I think they have to be fine too in the model, othervise the stress wouldn’t be what I expect (I mentioned it abowe).
NOTE: I considered that I have a quarter model when calculationg back the stresses from the reaction forces, so I think this is not the problem…

below you can see a few pictures of the pretensioned bolt and pipe (deformation scale is 100x)
and the von Mises stress distribution:

Your help is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Csaba

Hello @potyka_csaba,
have you tried to compute the reaction forces directly with the analysis run? You can do this using area calculations available in the result control section. Just choose the computation of the sum and create one item for the master and one for the slave surfaces. This would in any case give coherent results with the analysis. The only drawback is that currently you would need to re-run the analysis to add the reaction forces.

Best,
Richard

2 Likes

Hello @rszoeke!

Thanks for the tip!
OK, I made it, but I am stucked, how to get the force results after it in the PostProc? :slight_smile:

Bests,
Csaba

Hi Csaba (@potyka_csaba),

The results control measures can be viewed in the online post processor. Use the tree on the left to navigate to the simulation of interest then expand the section called Face Calculation. There you will find all the face calculations you have defined.

You can view the results online or export them using the menu in the top right hand corner.

1 Like

Thanks @BenLewis,

it was really easy :smile:

Cheers,
Csaba