'Wind_turbine_2' simulation project by aenglaro

I created a new simulation project called 'Wind_turbine_2':

blablabla

More of my public projects can be found here.

Hey @aenglaro,

great model! I gave it a spin over in this project:

https://www.simscale.com/projects/dheiny/wind_turbine_2/

I did one stationary and one rotating analysis:

Hope that helps!

Best,

David

Hello!
I have some questions regarding the simulation:

1. How to set inlet turbulence intensity/length scale
  2. How to force the mesh to follow features of the geometry, like in trailing edge of the blades
  3. Maximum number of cells supported
  4. How to import external meshes from star ccm+ or fluent.
  5. How to set up physical mesh rotation (not reference frame rotation), if possible.
    Thank you for your support.
    Best regards

Hi @aenglaro,

regarding your questions:

1. Inlet turbulence intensity:

There are two options. If you choose the Velocity inlet BC type, then your turbulent quantities (e.g. k + Omega) will be set at the inlet to the same values your initial condition is set to:

If you want more control, choose the Custom BC type where you can set all quantities manually:

1. The hex-dominant parametric mesh operation offers “Feature refinement” local mesh controls. If you increase the refinement level of those mesh refinements, the edges will be captured more accurately. In my mesh it looks like this:

Here I didn’t use any explicit feature refinement but just tuned the local cell size to a reasonable value. I didn’t check on y+ etc. yet though…

1. Up to 20 million cells will work fine. There are some limitations right now that can lead to troubles north of 20 million cells, but we’re working on that - should increase the limit significantly.

2. You can upload meshes in different formats (see “Upload mesh” button in the Mesh Creator tab). Do you’ve got the possibility to export in OpenFOAM format? That would be the easiest one to upload. Are you using Star / Fluent locally?

3. Choose the transient version of the incompressible flow sim. Then you’ll have both reference frame rotation and real motion as an option (called “AMI”, Arbitrary Mesh Interface)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you’ve got any additional questions.

Best,

David