SimScale CAE Forum

'Wind Comfort in an urban area' simulation project by Akrem

I created a new simulation project called 'Wind Comfort in an urban area':

Wind comfort

More of my public projects can be found here.

Description

With an increasing complexity of urban areas and the introduction of modern building designs, the interaction between buildings has become more pronounced, sometimes, leading to discomfort or safety issues for residents as well as pedestrians. This renders wind engineering as key to building any construction.

To ensure safety, architects and design engineers must develop a safe, sustainable, and cost-effective design by utilizing studies concerning wind engineering technology. Typically, these studies are conducted to evaluate the dynamic effect of wind on a structure followed by design optimization in order to mitigate the consequences. Moreover, conducting studies of the like also help meeting current industry standards.

Project Goals

Wind engineering and industrial aerodynamics are gaining importance to safeguard as well as increase the level of comfort for people. The current project lays focus upon pedestrian wind comfort by performing a simulation of the wind-flow across a city.

Sample geometry of city under study

Geometries

The geometry of the city is constructed and imported onto the SimScale platform. We consider a rectangular cutout of the geometry for our study.

Meshes

An enclosure is created around the geometry of the city. Only the effects of wind inside this box are taken under study.

Enclosed geometry box

To achieve better results at the surface of the buildings and structures, several mesh refinements are mapped onto the city geometry.

Mesh refinements on city geometry

Simulations

A simulation of the Analysis Type - Incompressible is performed using a steady-state, K-Omega SST turbulence model.

The inlet is defined as a Velocity Inlet and the outlet is defined as a Pressure Outlet. The building structures are defined as Walls.

Results and Conclusions

The following post-processing images depict the airflow patterns and thermal contours in different parts of the city at an elevation of 1.75 m from the ground (average height of an individual).

As can be seen from the figures, several heat traps are created as a result of the shape, height and orientation of the buildings.

The image below represents the effect of the corning amplification factor created due to high-rise buildings.

is there step by step tutorial for it? i am new to simscale and i dont know how to use it

Hi @Jaffer_jada!

What you can do is to download the geometry inside the workbench, create an own project and following the steps for the mesh, the simulation as well as the post-processing. So you can use the already existing simulation from Akrem as a step-by-step. If you need any help please let me know. Will help you out! :+1:

Best,

Jousef