Which Turbulence Wall setting to use for external flow using SST model

So before I waste any server hours, I want to double check I’m using correct boundary conditions.

I’m using SST model for external flow over an airfoil, I have an initial mesh that should be an okay first guess in terms of prism layers capturing the boundary layer around the airfoil, allowing for y+~1, so for my wing surface, I’m assuming I would assign it as a Wall with no-slip with ‘Full Resolution’ for the Turbulence Wall.

However, for the moving floor and the two external walls for the wind tunnel, I assume I would keep the Turbulence Wall to ‘Wall Function’ since boundary layer there will be using default automatic boundary layers of 3 where y+ will no longer be less than 1?

Also, since I’m simulating an F1 rear wing, I’m not too bothered about ground effect, so im guessing I wouldn’t need the same prism layer number and sizing on the moving floor like I would have for the aerofoil surfaces?

Hello shutchinson

first please have a look at this article on when how to choose between full resolution and wall function modeling. For such a bigger geometry I would suggest to use the wall function for the wing as the full-resolution approach will most likely cost more than 30 cells to accuracy capture the boundary layer.

for the rest of the simulation wall function with slip condition is sufficient.

For the moving ground, as you are not interested in ground effects slip can also be set. Moving the wall would here be interesting when the local air velocity is higher than the free stream velocity.

Best regards
Sebastian