'Water flow through globe valve' simulation project by dheiny

I created a new simulation project called 'Water flow through globe valve':

This project shows how SimScale can be used to analyze the fluid flow through valves.

More of my public projects can be found here.

The CAD model for this project was provided by Krzysztof Buczak. The first step to analyze the fluid flow through this valve is to extract the inner fluid flow volume of the valve. Many CAD systems do have dedicated functionality for this operation. In this case, the volume extraction has been done with SpaceClaim. The inner volume (displayed in the image above) is then meshed within SimScale using the hex-dominant mesh operation. A volume refinement for the central region is used in order to resolve the expected higher gradients in this region. Additionally a refined viscous boundary layer is added to the mesh. The meshing is carried out on two cores and the resulting mesh, shown in the figure below consists of 460,000 cells.

The mesh is then used to set up a turbulent, steady-state, incompressible fluid flow analysis. The k-epsilon model is chosen to account for the turbulence effects. The necessary boundary and initial conditions are set up and assigned to the correct faces. The simulation is set up as a steady-state simulation, however there might be several transient turbulent effects that will not be captured with this simulation setup. Therefore it is rather a rough first analysis of the flow. In order to capture more details of the flow, one could easily setup a finer mesh and use a transient analysis type. The actual simulation is then carried out on four cores which took around 50 minutes. The residual plots can be watched live during the simulation in order to track the progress of the simulation. As soon as the simulation is finished, the results can be analyzed and visualized in the integrated post-processing environment which is shown in the image below.

Wonderful simulation and well done!. I was wondering if you would create a model for butterfly valve.

Hi @ccccleung!

You can have a look at a butterfly valve analysis here: Butterfly valve flow analysis

If you type in butterfly into the search field in Public Projects (which can be found on the top of this page) you will find a bunch of examples :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Jousef

Hello Sir,

How do I obtain CAD drawings to be exported to ansys fluent?