"Unable to generate mesh because too course" but it's not super complicated and there aren't any small features

I’m unable to generate a mesh. I’ve tried numerous times with many different settings, but regardless of what I select, it says it’s too course.

The project is here:

I want to do a flow simulation. The model is fairly simple. I’ve inspected it in Fusion 360 as well as OnShape. There aren’t any holes or features I can change to make it simpler than it is. Does anyone have an idea of what is too course for the mesh?

Thanks

Hi @asegal,

What is the objective of your simulation? Are you trying to deduce some very specific parameter? How accurate does your results need to be?

Your model can be simplified further depending of what you need. I do think unless you’re looking for something really specific, things like this (shown below) can be removed or vastly simplified. A threaded surface shouldnt affect your results adversely.

You also want to inspect and check any of the small surfaces in the model and if possible stitch them together in CAD. Ideally you have a couple of main surfaces instead of the many that you see now.

2 Likes

I’m looking to just have an approximate idea of how the air will flow through this fan duct. I wanted to know how close it gets to blowing at just below the tip of the nozzle and not on it. I can replace the nozzle with a simple cone though.

The area it’s giving an error about is an edge in an area where I don’t see what could be a problem:

It doesn’t need to be super accurate, but it kept saying it was too course so I attempted to increase the Fineness which didn’t help. During other attempts it’s given errors about different edges or faces in around the same area as the screenshot.

I got the mesh generated. I simplified the nozzle a lot and adjusted some faces that were really long and skinny that went between some other faces where the whole area was relatively flat. Seems to have done it!

2 Likes