The point of reiterations

Hey there!

I’m a student and learning about online simulations such as SimScale, I was wondering what is the point of the 1,000 reiterations in my simulation. How is each trail different from the other one? is the airflow different each time because if it were similar every time, I would not be getting different results after each trial. Also, can someone tell me how accurate the simulations are in comparison to the real world wind-tunnel simulation? where do we draw the line? this is all for a school project. Thank you for your help!

Hi there, thank you for using the forum!

The accuracy of a simulation depends on many parameters, such as the appropriate meshing, boundary conditions, correct solver, etc. If these are taken care by the user according to the original physical model, then the results should have a small error percentage. You can check our validation cases here for example, which is a way to test our solvers and provide reliability:

Regarding the number of iterations: when performing a CFD analysis, the algorithm solves the equations multiple times before the results of the analysis are converged, meaning that they reach a steady value. 1000 iterations means that the solver performed the calculations inside the domain 1000 times, and it is a common number for loops for steady-state projects-of course this depends on the application as well-. To understand more why we need many loops, check this page, that shows how the solution is converged across time;

Best regards,
Fillia