The meshing algorithm does not support models which do not contain any solid shapes

Hi,

I was trying to mesh an object, but when I try doing so I get this error message:

“Error: The meshing algorithm does not support models which do not contain any solid shapes. You can create solids out of closed shells in your CAD environment.”

It’s a very simple object - a rectangular beam with a notch on each of its sides. I’ve double-checked the model and I have not found any gapping error in it.

The only thing I can think of that would be the problem otherwise is the file extension. I uploaded a .igs-file. Is this the problem?

Can anyone help?

My project can be found here: https://www.simscale.com/workbench?publiclink=586c8861-df59-49b2-a4d3-f11df34ea5a3

Thanks!

Hi @Dacke,

I reimported your model as a STEP file and then it worked:

Find my forked project here:

The reason was that there were no solid bodies detected in your IGES file. This seems to be an incompatibility with AutoCAD’s IGES exporter. The only thing I did is exporting it from SimScale again, importing into another 3D CAD software and exporting it as STEP from there again. STEP generally is the recommended input format for SimScale. Can you export also in STEP format for future models?

Best,

David

3 Likes

Hi @dheiny,

Thank you so much! I will use STEP as my default input format in the future. :slight_smile:

Best,
Dacke

@Dacke - glad I could help! Let me know in case STEP doesn’t solve the situation for AutoCAD!