Sweep Wing body

Hello to all,
The true Velosity of any Sweep Wing is like : V=VcosΛ (Λ= the sweep angle). ch10-4
So, when i try to simulate (incompressive simulation) my sweep wing body, the Lift force i get is the Lift without the calculation of the tru Velosity of my Sweep Wing body. It seems like the software ignores the top view geometry of the Wing body…So, I would like to ask if the geometric parameters like the sweep agnle are calculated automatic or i have to do it manualy?

Hello @uu885297, thanks for using the Forum!

While performing a CFD simulation, no details captured by the mesh will be ignored by the solver. The formulation and document you presented is an aritmatic calculation of critical mach number for wings with leading edge sweeps. While performing such calculations with the help of CFD solvers, you should not include the effects of geometry in your boundary input. These resultant effects/flow pattern will be computed and adjusted with respect to your model by necessary equations and mesh.

In fact, no significant difference in flow coefficients between swept and unswep wings is usually expected for incompressible flows. (As long as other wing parameters are the same such as AR, wing area, airfoil type, twist, etc.) Some aircrafts operating in low-speed condition usually have leading edge sweeps due to only structural concerns. Effects of the wing sweep usually becomes important when flow becomes compressible.

Hope these are helpful,
Best.

2 Likes