I tried to import a mesh output by Salome 7.8 and received a Error "bad format". After much head scratching and using HDFView 2.13.0 I figured out the problem was Salome was writing version 3.2.0 where as SimScale looks to be accepting only 3.0.7.
Please upgrade SimScale to support newer versions.
Process of "fix" a Salome .med file:
1) Reimport the salome file
2) Delete the "Group_Of_All_Xxxx" objects in "Groups of Nodes", "Groups of Edges", "Groups of Faces" and "Groups of Volumes"
3) Export the mesh as .MED
4) Run HDFViewer load the mesh output in step 3
5) Right click on INFOS_GENERALES and select Show Properties
6) Select Attributes tab in "Properties - /INFOS_GENERALES" dialog box
7) Change MIN from 2 to 0 and REL from 0 to 7
8) Save the result
For me the above steps allowed a .MED file to be imported and used in a simulation using SimScale