Solid inside of a flow region

Hello, I am having issues excluding a solid piece inside of a flow region, I am trying to include the solid bodies under “excluded bodies” tab when creating internal flow,

but it seems to be that it does the opposite of what I am trying to do. I also tried selecting the opposite bodies but that gave the same result

Hi!

Please always include the link to your project, so we can find in detail what is happening.

Did you get your desired results? If not, can you please explain better what you are trying to achieve? A picture with annotations would be perfect.

nhvnv | Aerospace | SimScale

Hello @ggiraldof here is a link to the project I am working on, I am currently trying to get screen 1 and 2 along with porous1 to be included as porous media. while the argon spreader, collet, and tungsten are solid and need to be excluded from the flow region. Do you think you could lend me a hand?

I think there is a misinterpretation here of the term ‘excluded parts’. Normally, all parts are used to create the voids in the flow region. If you select one part as ‘excluded’, then the flow region will intersect that part. This is used when one part is needed for an advanced concept such as rotating region or porous media. See documentation for details:

@Sblock said I need to exlcude all parts other than the pieces I am looking to have modified into porous media

Also reading in the article that “cell zones need to be excluded” anything that I am looking to run as porous media would fall into this “cell zone” category correct?

Yes, you should exclude only the parts you are going to use for cell zones.

But when I go to make a flow region with the other parts left visible I only get the very top included as flow region, so do I need to include boundary faces etc along the argon spreader, collet etc?

I am not sure if I completely understand the intention of the model, but please check this one to see if it fits your needs.

GG, would like to 1st and foremost thank you for tasking the time to create that flow region… But I can’t create symmetry to determine if it is accurate or not as the model is selected as “view only”… Also my apologies for not explaining the concept… This is a TIG welding cup for reactive metals… I need get the argon to exit out of the 2nd screen as close to laminar as possible. Argon enters from the top “smaller circular” to the exit “large rectangle at bottom” at atmospheric pressure. bodies that need to be included as cell zones for porous media (which represent stainless mesh screens which act as a diffusion method to even the flow of argon) are bodies “SCREEN1, SCREEN2, and POROUS1” The tungsten, collet, and argon spreader are all solid bodies and need to be excluded from the flow region.

You can select and hide faces to check the inside of the flow region, I think it captures what you need.

If you want to have a deeper look, then you can copy my project.

Please do so and let me know what needs to be improved. Also, you can open the GG model in the CAD Edit mode and see my operations, even modify them for your needs.