Simulating a Turbofan using custom boundary condition

Hi

Is it possible to simulate a turbofan inlet fan without simulating the core or exhaust. The image below is a similar project to mine but instead of simulating the core and exhaust i only want to simulate the fan by applying a pressure fan based boundary condition. The fan wont be explicitly simulated just its flow effect, hence the fan plate near the spinner (cone). I had a look at the custom boundary condition and thought that might be useful in simulating this project, but not entirely sure if that’s correct to use.

Also if anyone has any idea what fan pressure is in the custom boundary condition would be helpful. I know my mass flow but not my fan pressure, should i just enter a random value for a defined mass flow rate or do i have to somehow calculate the pressure at the fan. This is a compressible flow simulation with a mass flow rate of 643kg/s at the fan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards,

HL

1 Like

Hi there, thank you for using the forum!

Have you checked this page? How do I Model a Fan Curve in SimScale? | Knowledge Base

This explains how to use the custom boundary condition in order to add a fan curve. However this requires the data provided by the manufacturer.

Best regards,
Fillia

1 Like

Hi Fillia,

i do not have data from the manufacture. I wanted to simulate an aircrafts engine fan by using mass flow rate or pressure (checking for correct mass flow rate). What is the best way to go about this?

Kind regards,

HL

I would suggest you use a Velocity Inlet boundary condition then, with mass flow rate as the input. Velocity Inlet & Velocity Outlet Boundary Conditions | SimScale

Best regards,
Fillia