River flow and obstacle

Hi every one,

as i mentionned in my first post in the forum, i am an Civil Engineer but beginner in hydrodynamic.

I would like to simulate a river flow on an specific obstacle form.
I tried a simulation, the run was ok but not i expected at all… (I used Hex-dominat parametric)

Anyone could help me?
Which method / step do you recommand?

Thanks a lot!

ps: i’m french so my apologize for my frenglish i’m poor in technical vocabulary in english :wink:

1 Like

Hi @LBV,

Can you provide a project link, please? Depending upon the obstacle, an incompressible flow could be used or a multiphase flow. Better advise could be provided if you provide a link and good description of the problem :slight_smile: If it’s a private project you could also share with me.

Best,
Darren

1 Like

Hi,
it’s not private here the link https://www.simscale.com/workbench/?pid=5589705654702871695#tab_0-0

1 Like

Hi @LBV so I would say the first thing to be addressed is the geometry itself, these long thin faces tend to cause a low-quality mesh which in turn makes a highly unstable simulation. Was this an STL converted? uploading the original STL might be a solution if so.

Best,
Darren

1 Like

Ok thanks Darren, it’s an iges.
I 've juste upload the STL.
But how can i select my inlet / outlet faces?

1 Like

Great! So from here you can, under the geometry, do a geometry operation called face split, this will correctly split the faces where there are features. This will allow the inlets and outlets to be selected but have none of the non-feature faces separated.

2 Likes

Face split done.
About the mesh operation is it ok?

1 Like

Hi @LBV, you might have to add some layers in, some good documentation can be found in @jousefm 's simwiki about wall modelling or even CFD masterclass workshop 1, both can be found here in the forums.

Best,
Darren

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Darren, i will check it and try again !

1 Like