Question on Momentum Sources

Does the volume of a source correlate to the mass rate of flow of a momentum source? Suppose there is a cylinder with a volume and a cross section in the direction of the flow at velocity v. What is the equation relating the mass flow to size and assigned velocity? Thanks.

Hi @Robert01!

I am not 100% sure but I think that the different components are added directly to the velocity terms only, creating some discontinuity. For more specific details like contribution to the mass rate, I would have to ask my colleagues to look into the OF code.

Cheers,

Jousef

Have you been able to find more details on how the momentum sources work? I want to know what kind of power is assumed in a momentum source. Thanks.

Hey @Robert01, I think momentum and power are two different things.

The momentum source is a source term that adds linear momentum to the fluid inside the linear momentum equation. And a power source is a source term that adds power inside the energy equation.

Maybe the @cfd_squad wants to add something here.

Best,

Jousef

1 Like

Thanks. What I am really asking is if I put add a momentum source, how much power would it take to implement that in real life. It would take power to create the effects of a momentum source in real life and I need to know how much it takes.