'Peanut' simulation project by jartza

I created a new simulation project called 'Peanut':

3D Printer fanduct

More of my public projects can be found here.

Looks nice @jartza!

Can you tell us a bit more about this project and what you want to achieve?

Best,

Jousef

Hi @jousefm

It is layer cooling fan I designed for 3D printers, released here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2844019

I’m pretty beginner in 3D modeling and I have zero experience of CFD analysis, but I would love to learn how to simulate and analyse the duct airflow with different fans (axial/radial) and make changes to internal design of the duct based on real data and not guessing :slight_smile:

Although, I’ve made simple “water glass tests” to see the pattern of airflow on water surface, but that’s pretty tedious.

//Jari

Hi Jari (@jartza)!

Sounds amazing! Also got my first 3D Printer 5 days ago and trying to get something cool done in the near future :wink: Would love to exchange some ideas with you. Let the PowerUsers and me know if you need any help with your simulation.

All the best!

Jousef

Hey Jousef (@jousefm),

3D printing world is amazing, I’ve been playing around with them a lot in last two years and I’ve been building few of them already and started designing parts for everybody to use with them some time ago.

What comes to simulation, I actually don’t even have any idea how to start and most of the parameters look gibberish to me, so I don’t even know yet what to ask. Probably first I would just like to see how the air flows with current version when using 40mm axial fan in the upper fan slot, but I need to figure out a lot of stuff before that it seems :slight_smile:

//Jari

Hi there Jari (@jartza)!

Sounds good and thanks for the hint that some of the settings inside the platform sound weird or that a beginner really struggles with those kind of options. I already am in touch with our PowerUsers @vgon_alves & @Get_Barried to get rid of those barriers in the near future and go a step towards the democratization!

All the best!

Jousef

Hi @jartza!

First of all, thank you so much for tag me in this topic @jousefm! I’m really enthusiastic about this project!

We want to help you with it @jartza. At the begining it may seem so complicated, but soon you will see that in SimScale it will be very simple :wink:
If I don’t misunderstood you, please, let me present you some steps that will be necessary to do this one. Look:

First by the mesh:

• Meshing your geometry
    You will need to divide your geometry in some infinitesimal regions, that we call “Control Volume”. In each small cell of this will be where the equations of government of your case will be calculated (but it is a complex subject for now). So to better “divide” your geometry, we need to fix small faces that make the computer harder, like the ones you see below:

This red region will not influence the air flow you want to analyze here, do you agree? Then, all of this can be taken out to facilitate the work of the computer with the equations. Small holes and edges that you judge don’t have influency in the flow canbe removed as well :wink:

Another point that is good to mention is about the exhaust fans; You’ll need to create regions to symbolize the exhaust fans, but some circular regions (with the specified dimensions) are already enough to symbolize them.

I tried to be the most simple that I can here, but please, give me all the questions that you have at this point.

It will be a nice job here :smile:

Cheers,

Vinícius

Hi Vinícius (@vgon_alves),

Thanks for detailed answers, I will look into those and also checking some of the existing projects and reading the documentation currently. I agree that especially some external features can be dismissed from calculations (like the logo on the back) because they don’t have any effect on air flow :slight_smile: Also the lower fan port can be dismissed, because it is acting as 3D printer hot end cooler and allows replacing 30mm fan with 40mm fan and being a fan duct attach point. The upper fan port is not actually exhaust, though, but the fan is pushing air inside the duct and exhausts are the 6 small holes in the “legs” of the design :slight_smile:

Anyhow, plenty of thanks for the help, I’ll start surfing the documentation.

//Jari