Passive scalar transport with buoyancy driven flow

Hi,

Is there a way to model passive scalar transport with buoyancy driven flow (as in a thermal plume with contaminants)? I can’t figure it out.

I have the velocity/temperature field, and it would be nice if I could just input that to a passive scalar transport solver somehow.

Thanks!

Hi @sbrideau,

unfortunately, passive scalars are only supported for incompressible flow sims at the moment. Best would be if you suggest this as a new feature in the “Vote for features” section of the forum. That would help prioritizing its development!

Best,

David

And on a related note: I took a look at your projects - looks very interesting! What’s the simulation exactly about?

Thanks for the quick reply. I did use the incompressible model for buoyancy driven flow.

Anyways, I’m just playing with the software right now. The aim was to model a room with displacement ventilation, radiant floor heating, a cold window and occupants. I was really hoping to be able to model the CO2 levels in the space. I’m trying to see if I could use this tool at work before I pitch getting a license to my boss.

2 Likes

Hi @dheiny,

any idea if simscale will be including passive scalar as a feature for conjugate heat transfer and convective heat transfer modules? There is much less value for my purposes if I can’t model contaminant flow driven by natural convection. It seems like the underlying engine openfoam does have the capability (in some way). Maybe through the use of a post-process where one would use the solved velocity field as an input to the passive scalar module?

Hi @sbrideau,

providing the ability to add passive scalar species to convective heat transfer simulations is on our roadmap. Unfortunately there is no release date set for it yet!

In what type of room / application are you currently trying to simulate the passive scalar species? Maybe there is a workaround that we could use for the time being?

Best,

David

It’s a room with displacement ventilation, occupants (as a source of heat and CO2), a radiant floor, and cold windows. I’m trying to model a simple version of this for now, just to test the capabilities of the software.

Bump.

Has this been adressed yet? This is very important for displacement ventilation work.