'particle-mixing-mill' simulation project by afischer

I created a new simulation project called 'particle-mixing-mill':

This project demonstrates the discrete particle simulation of different mixing mills.

More of my public projects can be found here.

Simulate air flow with particles inside

The purpose of this analysis was to study the impact of the blade shapes within a mixing mill. Three different designs have been uploaded and a discrete particle analysis set up.

The transient particle analysis have been carried out on 16 core machines which took around 6 hours each. A visualization of the particles is shown in the image below. A video animation of the three different mill types is shown in this YouTube video.

hi can you please explain the step by step process

Hey @varghese,

the easiest way to follow the step by step approach is to make a copy of my project for yourself and just setup a new simulation following the settings of the existing simulation.

Best Alex

is there any video tutorial for this ? Anyway i will give a try
Thanks in advance

Hey,

unfortunately there is no detailed step-by-step tutorial for particles in the documentation. But please keep me updated on your progress!

Best Alex

when DEM will be available again? Liggghts code is very strong

Hi @camilomati!

It would be very useful for us that you share your feedback and maybe create a small feature request here: Vote For Features Section. Thank you very much!

Jousef

Hi @camilomati,

do you have experience with Liggghts? I only digged superficially into it. In the past we supported DEM in a very limited set via Yade. Would love to get into a conversation about the Liggghts capabilities if this works out for you?

Best Alex

Im Chilean Mechanical engineer (my english is not good).

1. ligggths is more rapid 16x more than yade ( http://repositorio.uchile.cl/bitstream/handle/2250/138438/Rediseno-de-punto-de-transferencia-en-sistema-de-correas-transportadoras-de-mineral-de-cobre.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y )

“In White is Liggghts and in red is YADE”

• Liggghts have more precision than tan YADE because improve rotating resistance and YADE dont

• In Liggghts you can make coupled CFD-DEM like dust aplications and spouted bed…

Other code is MFIX https://mfix.netl.doe.gov but the code dont have wall movement but is good for silo aplications and is fortran based and good documentated to.

Wow! That is great insig(gg)hts :wink: !

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately my spanish is below minimum, but super interesting. I know that Liggghts is developed by a company in Austria. We are located in Munich. I will try and reach out to them.

Mining and mixing mill applications e.g. for coffee beans were the reason we started to explore the topic, but didn’t invest enough time so far to move it really forward.

i can make classical simulations in mining if simscale improve liggghts :slight_smile: