Open Inner Region could not be created

Hey

I’m trying to simulate a simple cooler for a Mosfet and have already spent 10h trying to understand what is going on and adjusting stuff. My problem is, that I always get an error if I try to create an open inner region.

Here is a picture of what the heatsink will look like in real live:

For the simulation I used a half-cut as it is symmetric and I built a box around the Heatsink with a fan-housing shaped inlet on the top and an outlet which should be similar to reality where it will open to the air.

Now the Problem is that the open inner region fails, unless I make a gap between the fan inlet on the top and the heatsink. I made the gap really small (0.01mm) but then the simulation failed, and the mesh is unnecessarily fine on this 0.01 plane. I may get the simulation working with a bigger gap, but then the air will move differently then it should. Has anyone a idea why the inner region fails with no gap in between, I mean it is still all connected. BTW I already tried redrawing it to make sure, that there are no small errors in the design, that could lead to that problem.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi Dave and very interesting application!

@cfd_squad (@DaleKramer & @Retsam), could you please assist here and give our user some guidance?

All the best!

Jousef

Hey @dcarminati,
im not sure :confused:, but can you do a boolean operation at your cad model, to merge all bodys to one ?
Maybe we can avoid this clipping.

I not sure if this fixes the problem.

Best regards
Kai

Hey @Kai_himself,

The whole housing already is one body and I need it to be separate from the heatsink as I will assign different materials for the conjugate heat transfer simulation afterwards, or am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

I can try if it fixes it for the open inner region, but I wont be able to do the simulation afterwards, at least I wouldn’t know how.

[UPDATE:] I just tried it and it wont even start the operation, it stays at the “Start” button, I uploaded the old model with separate bodies and it worked, so it is only a problem with merged model.

Thanks,
Dave