Not able to start static pressure simulation

Hi,

I received this error upon trying to start a static pressure simulation on my popstick house project. The following error was provided upon an attmept to start:

“Your analysis does not contain a sufficient set of constraints and would likely fail. Please review your simulation setup before starting the analysis and make sure your model is sufficiently constrained by boundary conditions.”

Here is the link to the project: SimScale

Thank you.

Hi Harry, this is Fillia! To begin with, I see no contacts here, won’t your parts touch each other? Have a look here: Contacts & Interfaces in Solid Mechanics and CHT | SimScale

Hello, I am not sure on how to connect interfaces. I have several faces, but I am not sure which one I should pick for Host surfaces and Slave surfaces.

Hi @harryroberts16,

Before working on your issue with no contacts defined I did see another issue with your model that you will want to resolve first.

You imported an STL file, however when you did this you must manually choose the correct units of the stl file. The default units are meters, so as you can see on the scale in the image below your popstick house is over 100 meters across.

Here is some information from @Ricardopg that will help with this issue.

The .stl models are always assumed to be in meters when they are brought to SimScale. But it’s also possible to change the unit by expanding the window (1) and changing the model units (2). This workflow should work nicely for these geometries.

Once you import the model to the correct scale the automatic contact detection may work.
If not, please reach out again and we will be glad to help you along.
Christopher

2 Likes

Hi, I used Sketchup for designing the model; and used milimeters for the model units. I am not sure why it has converted to meters, in such a large quantity.

I have once again chosen meters and even tried milimeters, but no results have come up so far. I am still recieving the same error about there not being enough constraints.

Hi @harryroberts16 ,

Quickly following-up on this: are you able to export this geometry in a different format from SketchUp? In a general sense, .stl geometries should work for static analysis if you have a single part.

For assemblies, there are difficulties with the automatic contact detection - this should be solved by importing the CAD model in one of the other supported formats.

Cheers