'Non-newtonian flow of concrete' simulation project by sjoshi

I created a new simulation project called 'Non-newtonian flow of concrete':

This project simulates the Non-newtonian flow of concrete through a pipeline.

More of my public projects can be found here.

This simulation models flow of a non-newtonian fluid (concrete) through a pipeline. The concrete mixture components were assumed to be in the following dry mixture mass proportions: 45% Gravel, 29% Sand, 9% Fine Sand, 17% Cement. The geometry was constructed in Salome using a CAD Model of a ball valve (courtesy Chris Yao - GrabCAD). The flow field was then extracted and uploaded as geometry input to the platform. Meshing was done using snappyHexMesh with approximately 590000 volume elements.

The simulation shows the capability of the SimScale platform to simulate the behavior of Non-newtonian fluids, in this case: concrete.

sjoshi i’m permission for copy your project, cause i want to build some project about fresh concrete pipeline to know the presure and flow results…thanks.

Hi @baguswooten,

Welcome to SimScale! Of course, please feel free to make a copy of the project for your purposes.

Hi @sjoshi,

I currently am looking at pipe flow similar to yours. Very new to this program and I am wondering how you converted your “hollow” pipe into how the concrete would flow through the pipe? In other words how do i create that “solid fluid” model out of my preexisting pipe model? I see your pipe is shaded out and you can clearly see the concrete as its own entity. I would like to reproduce something like that for my project. Thank you!!

Hello @cpastore,

This was done using fluid volume extraction (more information on this page).

Often, though, the CAD software that allows you to do this requires a license. Nevertheless, you can still make sure that the flow domain is meshed by doing the following:

1. Upload the geometry on the SimScale platform
  2. Setup a hex-dominant parametric mesh. Here, ensure that the background-mesh-box closes the inlet(s) and outlet(s) of your flow domain.
  3. Ensure that the material point lies in the flow region of the geometry.

This will generate a mesh as you desire it to be.

That is really cool stuff, I will have to look into that somewhere down the road! Thank you for the information. I’m assuming that when I do the mesh that way that I can still pick my boundary conditions the same right?

Yes, that is correct.