Natural convection and rhoconst

Hello,

I’m just starting out with CFD/FEA and have a question. I’m attempting to model a heat load that is immersed in dielectric liquid (roughly similar to mineral oil) using a CHT model. When attempting to model with the dielectric, I do not seen a great amount of convective flow. I did a sanity test with water as my fluid and I see a reasonable flow, which brings me to my question.

The default parameters for water in SimScale list the equation of state as rhoConst. After looking through the documentation, rhoConst means that the density of the liquid is fixed, however we know that natural convection is due to a change in density/bouyancy from heating.

How is simscale able to simulate convection when a material’s equation of state is set to rhoConst? What am I missing? Thanks!

Hey @jberlocher!

Good hint! Will get back to you ASAP, give me some time to put an answer together :wink:

Update from my colleague Vuko : rhoConst means that there’s no bouyancy (but not necessarily no convection). Effectively, the temperature equation for a liquid with rhoConst is decoupled from the momentum and pressure equations.

Best,

Jousef

Thanks for the information.

1 Like