SimScale CAE Forum

'Module Thermal Practice' simulation project by sadeghir97

I created a new simulation project called 'Module Thermal Practice':

Practice module

More of my public projects can be found here.

Hi @sadeghir97!

Looks like a pack of batteries to me :wink: What exactly are you trying to simulate here?

Cheers!

Jousef

Hi @jousefm,

It sure is a pack of batteries! My car team is building an open air test bed and we’re expecting our current to be rather high so I was trying to see if our configuration would allow for sufficient cooling. The CAD was one of our earlier module designs and this was just a practice run to see what a CHT simulation would look like. I tried following the Youtube tutorials I found. Unfortunately, the mesh failed because I had some self-intersecting surfaces so I will try and fix that later today!

I appreciate you checking in, I didn’t need to even post a question! I will most likely have some in the near future though. I’m also planning on asking an industry professional how to best simulate battery heat generated. I’m not sure if the classic P = I^2*R is accurate enough.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan (@sadeghir97)!

Ah got it, very nice project. Sounds like the early days of Tesla! :wink: And indeed intersecting surfaces should not appear but they should touch for a CHT analysis. Let me know how things go and feel free to contact me whenever you like (inboxing me is also allowed :wink: ). May I know if your team has a webpage?

Cheers!

Jousef

Oh, it’s going to be better than a Tesla ;). It’s funny that you mention that though because the cells we’re using are from the original Tesla Roadster tests from over 15 years ago that were donated to us. Small world, ha.

Our team does have a webpage (www.provelab.com)! I am currently working on Project 2, which doesn’t have much PR because of our first project. We’re doing a lot of testing and early design work currently, but we’re hoping to get more exposure when Project 1 breaks a world record!

That’s so amazing!! I believe in you guys - seems like a very dedicated and hard working troop :slight_smile:

If you need any help on the simulation for Thermal Analysis, FEA or CFD just let me know. Will help you out wherever I can. I can also ask if there is any possibility for a SimScale sponsorship if you guys are interested in that - is there anybody I have to contact specifically for those issues?

Cheers and thanks a lot for the interesting insight Ryan!

Jousef

I am trying to be the go-to guy for simulation stuff on the team, so I will definitely need all the help I can get! SimScale has been an amazing platform for me for my personal projects, but I will try to convince the team to start using it more. At our school, we have the privilege of using industry-level software to do a lot of analysis work (ANSYS/STAR-CCM+ for CFD, NX/ANSYS/Solidworks for structural), so it might be a little difficult. Our faculty advisors are all trained and familiar with these software packages as well. I think we would like to do some case studies to compare the accuracy between each software before we adopt it on a team-wide scale. I’m personally using SimScale because I am familiar with the platform a bit.

What sort of stuff does a sponsorship with SimScale entail? I knew SimScale helped with Formula teams from the workshops on Youtube, but I didn’t know SimScale offered official sponsorships.

Hi Ryan,

you got the support from our PowerUsers as well as from me of course. I know what you mean and I have had the discussions with other people about the “never change a running system”-issue several times and at the end of the day it comes down to personal preferences and resources available. As you have been using SimScale for a longer time now you are well aware of the advantages a cloud-based ecosystem delivers.

You got my support in the case studies and we can schedule a hangout from time-to-time if you wish. For the sponsorship I would first have to ask and get back to you as soon as I know more. Hope that’s fine :slight_smile:

All the best!

Jousef

That sounds great! I look forward to hearing back from you and the team at SimScale!

Hi @sadeghir97!

I sent you an email with good news :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Jousef