'Mobile Drop' simulation project by rszoeke

I created a new simulation project called 'Mobile Drop':

A casing of a mobile phone is tested when being dropped from 2 meters height.

More of my public projects can be found here.

This project shows how the consumer goods industry can leverage SimScale to design better products. The drop of a mobile phone casing falling from two meters height is simulated to see whether or not it reaches critical stress values. The CAD model was provided by Luka.

The model is uploaded as a STEP file to SimScale. For mesh generation, the tet-meshing operation with additional refinements is used. The resulting tetrahedral volume mesh is shown in the image below.

The dynamic finite element analysis type is used for this simulation. The mobile phone is placed directly above the ground and initiated with a downwards velocity. That way one saves the computing time for letting the phone actually drop from 2 meters by just computing the relevant time frame of the process when the phone hits the floor. The computation itself takes about 20 minutes. The image below shows the von Mises stress distribution in the casing when the maximum is reached.

The result control items are used to directly compute the largest stress value during the simulation. The image below shows the development of the maximum von Mises stress value over the transient process. That way one can directly see the critical values of the simulation without needing to post-process the result fields

Hi,

I just want to enquire whether this simulation will produce plastic deformations of case(as well as any contacting bodies) in case VM stresses exceed yield limit.

Thanks

Hi @anehra,
no, actually a simple linear elastic material behavior was assumed for this demonstration example.
If you want to investigate how a more realistic elasto-plastic material behavior would impact the results, you can just copy the project, adapt the material settings and create a new run.

Best,
Richard