Issue with meshing of a F1 car using the Hex dominant parametric algorithm

I am working on my final year university project about F1 aerodynamics and have created a rough CAD for the 2022 regulations. I have been trying to mesh the model, but keep receiving this message.
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 11.00.24 pm
I have no other errors and have checked the CAD for inconsistencies finding none using the tools available.

What seems to be the issue and can it be resolved?

Thanks

My project link : SimScale

Hi, this is Fillia :slight_smile:

There are many potential reasons why this simulation has an error, like the placement of the material point inside the model, the dimensions of the domain, etc, but instead of going through the Hex dominant parametric settings, I suggest that you use the Standard mesher, like in this tutorial: Aerodynamic Flow Behavior Around a Vehicle Tutorial | SimScale

Also, consider simulating half the model, to save some valuable resources!

Best regards,
Fillia

Hi Fillia,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I have copied a similar simulation and made my own edits accordingly for a different F1 model (PERRINN Model), in it I used the hex dominant parametric meshing and had worked.

Link to that project: SimScale

As I am comparing the 2 models for my project, are there any other steps I can take to do the hex meshing to ensure my comparisons are viable? If not I will attempt to use the standard meshing

Thanks

I recommend you try the standard mesher even if you are comparing your results with a model that used the hex dominant parametric. As long as it has a good mesh quality, the algorithm should not be an issue. If you insist to try the Hex dominant parametric though, you can start by recreating all the settings from the project you sent me, including the Cartesian box sizing and the correct material point placement.

Best regards,
Fillia

2 Likes