Internal Flow Geometry Error Irrigation system

I am trying to model a complex HVAC system that has a structure more like a irrigation system. I want to be able to compare how different geometries effect the distribution of air. I am currently try to create the internal flow but keep getting the error message shown in the screenshot. Do anyone know how to solve this?

The small dots show all the outlets and the following screenshot shows what I want to model. The red rectangles represent caps that will block off ends of the tubes to determine which is the optimal configuration. The issues have started now that I’ve put these caps into the geometry. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

The link for the project is below. Its the ‘current geometry’ I’m struggling with.

Hello uolwind,

thanks for reaching out to us in the forum.

Seems like you have an open section in one of the corners of the HVAC assembly.

Best way for checking this is to create a section view and go through all the corners, where you can see the edges of the part.

You can fix this in the Edit in CAD Mode with the move Face operation.

After that you should be able to create the internal flow volume.

Best regards
Sebastian

Thank you so much! I’ve now got an internal flow but on further inspection it is one body where I want gaps.

At the end of those beams I want there to be gaps in the flow, how do I achieve this?

Hello uolwind,

Can you please explain a bit further of what you mean with gab in the flow region.
so the air should be leaking out between the long beam and the connecting part?

Best regards

Hi SBlock,

The air wouldn’t be leaking out, the flow should be blocked. So where that screen shot is there’s a cap on the end of the connecting part. This isn’t on all the connecting parts but it’s this feature that I want to test to see how the air flow can be more even throughout the system.

If you look at the first message the screenshot shows red blocks which is an example of where the caps might be. So the air would have to flow through the other pipes and round the other side to go the parts with caps on.

Regards,
Mae.

Hi uolwind,
though I would suggest doing this in your CAD Software there is a workflow in SimScale:

1. Split the geometry at the end where you want to close of the geometry. Make sure you activate ‘keep both sides’.
  2. Delete the inside Faces of the end of the splited geometry to close it off.

The result should look like this,

1. Use the union operation to combine the parts back together.
  2. Create the internal Flow Volume.

Best reards
Sebastian